RN SANE Program
Company: Edward-Elmhurst Health
Posted on: November 23, 2022
Edward-Elmhurst is a 736-bed system that includes three
hospitals - Edward Hospital in Naperville, Elmhurst Hospital and
Linden Oaks Behavioral Health (on the Edward campus), and an
extensive ambulatory care network that provides comprehensive
healthcare to residents of the west and southwest suburbs of
For the third year in a row, Edward-Elmhurst Health has been named
one of the nation's 15 Top Health Systems by Fortune/IBM Watson
Health. For the second year in a row, Fortune/IBM Watson Health has
named Edward Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital among the 100 Top
Hospitals in the U.S.
Elmhurst Hospital was ranked No. 1 and Edward Hospital was ranked
No. 7 in the Large Community Hospitals category. Edward and
Elmhurst are two of only five Illinois hospitals to make the 100
Top Hospitals list. Edward was previously recognized in 2011, 2016,
2018 and 2020. This is the second time Elmhurst Hospital has been
This position is required to provide high quality, cost-effective
care to patients with the complaint of sexual assault. Completing a
medical-forensic exam and evidence collection when appropriate in
accordance with Illinois and hospital guidelines and policies.
Details: This position is located at Elmhurst Hospital and will
work on a registry basis with varied hours.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care
appropriate to the age of assigned patient population. This
includes knowledge of the physical and psychological needs of the
patients as well as the ability to respond appropriately to those
2. Provides direct patient care to patients of sexual assault in
the hospital setting.
3. Conducts physical assessment and forensic exam of sexual assault
4. Obtains evidence via Illinois State Police Evidence Collection
Kit with required consents when appropriate.
5. Provides patient with an opportunity to have forensic photos
taken in accordance with Forensic Photography guidelines.
6. Identifies and facilitates care for injuries requiring medical
7. Collects and maintains chain of custody of evidence and
8. Documents assessment, evidence collection and intervention.
9. Provides access to crisis intervention for patient.
10. Conducts care of patient with attention to right to privacy and
11. Coordinates with law enforcement and advocacy groups when
12. Provides patient education regarding exam, procedures,
treatment, STD prevention, pregnancy prevention and follow-up
13. Participates in education of sexual assault nurse examiners,
law enforcement, health care providers and the community as
14. Provides legal testimony on SANE cases when subpoenaed or
requested by legal representation.
15. Pursues professional growth and development as a member of the
SANE program on a continuous basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Education, Experience and/or Skills Required:
Completed International Association of Forensic Nurses (IAFN)
accredited SANE A course adults with required State of Illinois
2. Education, Experience and/or Skills Preferred:
Baccalaureate Degree or higher in Nursing
Previous experience in Emergency Medicine or women's health
A minimum of one year of previous experience as a SANE RN
Registered Nurse in good standing with State of Illinois Department
of Professional Regulation
3. License/Certification Required:
Current State of Illinois RN Licensure
If certification is not from State of Illinois, approval of ability
to practice in Illinois must be given by the Illinois State SANE
Benefits offered by Edward-Elmhurst Health include: (eligibility
varies by FTE)
Medical, dental, and vision
Paid time off
Fitness center membership
Free employee parking
Plus many other Employee Perks
Keywords: Edward-Elmhurst Health, Elmhurst , RN SANE Program, Healthcare , Elmhurst, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!