Material Handling Equipment Technician I
Posted on: August 4, 2022
US0024 Sysco Chicago, Inc.
Minimum Level of Education:
High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience:
- JOB SUMMARY
This is an Operations position responsible for assisting Material
Handling Equipment (MHE) technician II & III with maintenance
activities associated with material handling equipment, and
maintenance of industrial batteries.
- Demonstrate an understanding and adherence to all work safety
policies, procedures, and governing requirements
- Learn/gain knowledge of controls and electric (AC - Alternative
Current & DC - Direct Current) low voltage.
- Learn/complete small electrical repairs and welding projects as
- Learn to perform and maintain power material handling equipment
(MHE) including preventive maintenance (PM) of MHE fleet checking,
draining and filling oil levels as needed, checking, adjusting, or
replacing all belts and chains as needed, checking and
troubleshooting electrical controls issues, replacing motors and
controls, safety checks, PM per manufacturers recommendations
- Learn/gain knowledge of hydraulic
systems/schematics/components, electrical systems/schematics both
AC and DC (distribution center) systems, drive motors, power amps,
electrical controls including PLC systems
- Learn/gain knowledge of mechanical systems including
transmissions, drive units, differentials, braking systems,
telescopic masts, reach mechanisms, steering systems, suspension
- Completes all special projects associated with buildings or
grounds, as requested. Includes but not limited to moving furniture
or fixtures, changing lights, light carpentry, painting, light
plumbing, changing of light bulbs, repair of minor electrical
- Battery Maintenance duties will include battery charger
repairs, battery changes for MHE, repair of plugs and tips of
batteries and chargers, watering and washing batteries, acid spill
clean up, battery rack cleaning, battery area sweeping and
cleaning, setting equalizing charge on batteries
- Participate in departmental on-call program, as designated
- Responsible for logging time and materials into the
computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) on a daily basis
in the form of work orders, P.M.s, etc.
- Responsible for housekeeping, clean up of all maintenance
areas/work areas on a daily basis.
- Maintain all tools and equipment in clean, safe, working
- Adhere to all safety requirements and wear the proper Personal
Protective Equipment required by the job
- Respond to emergency situations to ensure employee and facility
- Champion overall safety in the department
- Comply with OSHA, and other local, state and federal
- Adhere to Organization and the Facilities Department policies
and procedures including appropriate attire, grooming, and
- Interact effectively, build relationships, and demonstrate a
high level of cooperation
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED);
- Tech school or equivalent is preferred (2 years)
- Two years in an MHE maintenance position preferred (No
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, or
- Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divides into all units
of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Must possess a valid state Driver's License and provide proof
of liability coverage meeting Company standards.
- Complete a Sysco approved the defensive driving program
- Obtain a Powered Industrial Equipment Certification from Sysco
within 3 months
- MHE 8 hour maintenance tech certificate from MHE manufacturer
(IE: Crown, Raymond, Hyster, etc.) preferred
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is
regularly required to talk or hear.
- The associate is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use
hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and
climb or balance.
- The associate is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch,
- The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is
occasionally exposed to wet, hot, extreme cold and/or humid
conditions; and moving mechanical parts and may be required to work
in confined spaces.
- The associate works non-traditional business hours including
evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call.
- The associate may occasionally be required to travel to other
Operating Companies or the corporate office as business needs
dictate (i.e. training, business continuation, etc.).
- The associate is occasionally exposed to high, precarious
places and confined spaces.
- The associate is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne
- The noise level in the work environment is usually
For information on Sysco's Benefits, please visit
HOW WE PROTECT OUR ASSOCIATES
- Personal protective equipment and masks provided
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Sysco is the global leader in foodservice distribution. With over
57,000 associates and a fleet of over 13,000 vehicles, Sysco
operates approximately 326 distribution facilities worldwide and
serves more than 625,000 customer locations.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and
professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic
organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their
expectations. We're looking for talented, hard-working individuals
to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco
is at the heart of food and service.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or
any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.
Keywords: Sysco, Elmhurst , Material Handling Equipment Technician I, Professions , Elmhurst, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!